Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breakin it Down: The Courtesy Wave

For years I have been a proponent of a simple, yet often neglected, driving ettiquette tool that can make navigating busy roads a pleasure for simple minded folks like myself. When driving, many forget that alittle courtesy can go a long ways. And the ultimate in driving courtesy...? Clearly, the courtesy wave.

The courtesy wave has become a bit of an obession of mine. It's something I strive for receiving and something that can upset me when I don't get the wave I think I deserve. Even MLBMommy is getting into this obession as today she mentioned that "I courtesy waved a school bus this morning and it was totally inappropriate and now I'm embarrassed." But don't fret MLBMommy, problems with courtesy waving can be solved, and bad habits can be fixed. The remedy? Practice.

The courtesy wave encompasses many types of waves, for many types of situations. But regardless of the situation, nothing says "Yeah Buddy" like a quick wave to the guy who you just cut off without so much as a blinker of notice. Let's face it, there are few ways to express courtesy when both you and the other driver are in a car, but with practice, dedication, and care, you too can perfect the trade of the courtesy wave.

Here are some MLBDaddy tips for the courtesy waving newbie...

1. When given the chance to do something nice on the roads, take full advantage.

2. When someone disrespects you while driving, turn the tables on them with a courtesy wave. That will make them really feel like crap.

3. Exercise caution. Examine how pissed off the driver of the vehicle is at a move you just pulled. Make sure that the wave will not send their rage over the top.

4. Be armed with a sufficient repertoire of waves. Different situations call for different waves. Examples: The one finger up, the two finger up, the full hand, the peace sign, the horizontal peace sign, the salute, and the ever tricky combination of the wave and head nod.

5. Make eye contact. If the other driver can see your rods and cones focused on them, most of the time they will feel obliged to give you the wave.

6. Don't be shy. Everyone can appreciate a wave, and it will make you feel good whether you are giving or receiving. There really is no "embarrassing" situation for a courtesy wave MLBMommy.

Hopefully some of these tips can help you in your day to day courtesy waving lives. Practice them and I promise you, they will not disappoint.

But now, let's get to the meat of this blog post. As I mentioned I am quite obsessed with the courtesy wave, especially receiving them from other drivers. This obsession has sparked an idea. I want to make, and keep, a list of all types of drivers of which I have received a courtesy wave from. A to-do checklist of sorts. I am going to keep readers of MLBDaddy in the loop on my progress by sharing the story of each and every wave I check off my list. If you have any ideas for additions I should make to this list, I love a challenge, and you can let me know in the comments section. Here is the start of my checklist...

A car
A truck
A van
A hummer
A city bus
A school bus
A coach bus
A police officer
A taxi
A semi driver
A propane truck
A UPS vehicle
A US Postal Worker
A hotel shuttle
A bicycler

I think that's it for now. Happy waving!

mmmmk Bye!

6 comments:

Kim said...

here's the situation.

i was waiting to turn right at a stop sign. the bus was across from me, turning left (so to the same direction), and had gotten there first. i waited for a couple cars which were coming from my left to pass. then i looked at the bus, waiting to see if it was turning. it wasn't, so i thought it was letting me go. so i turned and gave a courtesy wave. only to realize that there were cars coming from the OTHER way, hence the bus driver couldn't really have turned even if he had wanted to. hence my wave made me look like a crazy person who was just waving at a bus. :)

anne said...

I would enjoy a thorough analysis of the "JimBob" wave. A.K.A. the "howdy, boys" wave that occurs on a rural (typically dirt) road when one guy in a big pickup meets and waves/nods at another guy in another big pickup coming from the other way. Usually the pickups are hauling loads of wood or deer carcasses or fishing gear or the like.

Unknown said...

A keen observation, Anne. The JimBob is a very much a seasonal wave that's commonly seen during periods of heightened anticipation such as opening weekend of deer season, fishing season, snowmobiling season, etc. Big SUVs are commonly involved, as well as pickups.

Carrie said...

Corey is very passionate about not receiving courtesy waves also. Now I find myself getting a teensy bit huffy if they are not reciprocated. My favorite additional wave is the scoop, the hurry-up-and-get-in-because-I'm-letting-you-ahead-of-me annoyance wave. And then of course, no thanks.

Meaghan K said...

I would like to add two to the list

Ken Donovan as he is walking to work in downtown dtown (I am assuming courtesy waves can happen when on foot also, right?).

A person in a vest.

I think Katie D would also like to see both of these happen.

Paul said...

How are things progressing with the list?