Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday What's Cooler - Man Bags or Fanny Packs?

If you're a guy and you want to be a giant turd sandwich, go buy yourself a man bag and carry it all around with you. The 'man bag' or 'man purse' could also be known as a 'messenger bag' or 'reporter bag'. Whatever you want to call it, it will surely make your life (and everyone's life who sees you with it) rather depressing. Men that carry man bags are basically screaming to the world, 'I want to be a woman'. Some man bags are sleek and lightweight and can be very useful for carrying day to day work materials and other essentials. Some vests are sleek and lightweight as well, and like man bags, they still suck.

Fanny packs were made popular in the early '90s as a means for travelers to carry their belongings while exploring places like The Walleye Capital of the World or Tommy Turtle. I'm pretty sure the same guy that invented Fanny packs also created this website. Many fanny pack wearers also consider fluorescent orange and neon green as an integral part of their daily fashion.e One cool thing about fanny packs is that you can wear them in the front, on the sides, or in the back and can change what you call them depending on where you have located it. If it's on the front, call it a belt pack, on the side?, hip pack, on the back?, bum bag. Pretty sweet eh? Be careful if you are traveling in Europe though, "fanny" is used as a colloquialism for vagina in those territories. No one wants to be known as a fanny.

So what's cooler, the man bag or the fanny pack?
I gotta go with the fanny pack on this one. At least if you strap on a fanny pack you can wear a longer untucked shirt that can cover it up.

8 comments:

Robyn said...

I guess if you're covering it up with a long t-shirt fanny pack it is.

Tony Gjerdahl said...

Deciding which of these two items is cooler is no easy task. That's why I prefer to wear my fanny pack while carrying my man bag at the same time. It's kind of like the best of both worlds--I can carry my beef jerky in my fanny pack for quick access, while at the same time carry my ipod, cell phone, pager, 2nd cell phone, chap stick and hand lotion all in my man bag. Ultimate convenience!

Jaime Cox said...

I think everybody wants to love the fanny pack because it's oh-so-convenient. But, it's seriously the most terrible looking thing ever. Especially thrown over a pair of Zubas, since we are on the subject.
I have to say the man bag looks way better.

Kim said...

this one is not even a contest. man purses are WAY cooler. even tom brady carries one.

http://boards.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=28044.1&nav=messages&webtag=bc-redsox

gisele doesn't seem to mind.

Kim said...

pardon my link issue, you may view tom's man purse here:

man purse

mlbdaddy said...

Ok - wow. Tom Brady has just been nominated as JZY of the Month based on that picture. Not only is he sporting a man purse, but he is also wearing a yankees cap. I would wear a fanny pack in the nude before I did that.

jenny said...

the fanny pack is so 80's. if a guy needs to hold anything (that doesn't fit into his pockets) he should have a man bag. they just look more modern. fanny packs kind of freak me out.

i like kim's link. i liked just looking at tom in the link. i don't care if he is the jzy of the month. right ladies?

Anonymous said...

Men that carry man bags are basically screaming to the world, 'I want to be a woman'.

Umm...No.