Monday, March 17, 2008

WCT MATCHUP #1: BERT VS BOOF

Sorry for the delay to the start of the What's Cooler Tournament. Let's get it underway now with the first matchup. Remember, you vote, I tally the votes, and the winner moves on to the next round. Feel free to find your own interesting facts if what I provide is not enough for you to make your difficult decision...




BERT

BOOF

Bert Blyleven was born in the Netherlands and his real name is Rik Aalbert Blyleven. He went with Bert because clearly the guy is not a Rik. He has a "Circle Machine."

He was a pretty good pitcher back in his playing days, just ask him and he will tell you. You can also tune in to Fox Sports North for a Twins broadcast where you'll find out that he can't go an entire ballgame without bringing up his own skills. He is considered to be one of the best pitchers eligilbe, yet not in, the Major Leauge Baseball hall of fame. He will tell you all about that too.

Bert doesn't seem to have any real knowledge about the game of baseball and at times can be quite annoying to listen to. Casual baseball fans love the guy. My favorite Twins blogger posted
this picture of him just last week. Cool shirt.

The guy is one of my World Series heros as he helped lead the Twins to a World Championship in '87. He dropped two F-bombs on the air back in 2006. My mommy wouldn't approve, but I thought it was pretty decent. He also likes to talk about his birthday and always knows, and talks about, how many days away his next birthday is. He likes beer and eats hot dogs on the air. I would have to classify him as a Yahoo.

Has anyone out there ever been circled by Bert?

Boof Bonser's first name is Boof... cool or not? I say not. Boof spelled backward is Foob, which I think is an appropriate nickname for a little kid who runs around with boogers and snot running out of his nose.

Boof reminds me of a complete zippy I played baseball with one summer not too long ago. If anyone out there can name that person, send a private email to MLBDaddy and you will get a shout out on my next post!

Boof will be the Twins number three or four starter in 2008 and the team is going to need alot out of the guy this year. Last year he had several starts where he looked dominate for 4-5 innings and then blew up and needed to be removed from the game. He has a deec curveball, but is pretty fat. Rumor has it he lost 30-40 pounds during the offseason. That would still place him below the yellow line, if he were on The Biggest Loser, so I am not all that impressed.

**Side Note: If you want to see fat guys cry, watch The Biggest Loser.
***Side Note 2: If you want to watch fat guys cry and get dressed up by a not straight guy from that lamo show MLBMommy really likes you should tune in to The Biggest Loser this week.

So lets review. Bert is a Rik who thinks highly of himself and circles people for a living. I imagine that he probably farts alot in the broadcast booth. Boof is a fat guy who gives up alot of runs and had an 8-12 record last year. I imagine he probably farts alot on the mound.

Happy voting!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

i vote for bert on behalf of my husband...he said for two reasons:
#1 he is legendary
#2 he said the f-word on live TV
is livan really our #1 pitcher?

Kim said...

My vote is for Bert. And here's why.

1) He has a whole website (sponsered by Cambria... hmm) devoted to getting him into the HOF.

2) He actually had his own blog long before it was cool, and signed each post 'Your baseball friend, Bert'.

3) When American Idol contestant Ace Young visited the booth, Bert asked him if he got lucky with Paula Abdul.

beanski said...

What the freak. It's Bert, hands down. He is a legend. Back in the day he would pitch a lot more than 100 pitches in a game...baseball today is too worried about pitch count. Watch one game a season and I personally GUARANTEE he will mention it. That's a consistently you just can't get from Boof. Bert never lets me down. Also, I'm with the others, the fact that he obviously liberally uses the f word is good enough for me. Boof is SO 2007.

jessica said...

you're losing me here...

Anonymous said...

Not knowing either one of them will help me make this unbiased opinion. All I have to say is…Boof reminds me of someone you used to work with…he looks like him and pretty sure smells like him. They might be related. Bert wins my vote.

joepa said...

Bert is annoying but seems like a guy that you could have fun hanging out with.

Boof is a doof who looks grumpy all the time, but I can relate to his fatness.

I vote for Boof Blyleven.

Anonymous said...

It has to be Bert. He was a much better player than Boof could ever dream to be, and he did drop a strong couple of F bombs over the air from Yankee Stadium. All Boof ever does as you said was blow games in the later innings and adjust/play with his sleeves after every batter her retires.

Tony Gjerdahl said...

Definitely Bert.
Don't forget that Bert also shaved his head when Santana threw a shutout. He's a man of his word. What word would that be? The F word of course.

Anonymous said...

I can't name your "Foob" but I'm casting my vote for Bert/Rik. See Kim's reason #3... he has balls and I like that. Besides, Boof is gay.

Anonymous said...

my vote is for bert. love him. don't get me wrong, i like boofy but he is terrible at baseball. i also can't wait for how you are even going to try to make marney cooler than justin.
megan :)

anne said...

My vote is for Bert. I know him from 1987 or 1991 or something. He's classic. And Boof is a Doof and he's fat.

jenny said...

i vote for bert. i like a guy who isn't afraid to drop the f-bomb on live tv.

Unknown said...

I think I am going to give boof a vote, right now I would rather be a number 4 starter for the twins than a terrible anouncer who is known for circling people and talking about himself back in the gool ole days.

Mel said...

I give it to Bert. Any guy that drops the f-bomb on live TV...MORE than once AND talks about himself the whole game...I mean come on, that's a given;)

Anonymous said...

Bert, by a longshot.